Monday, January 4, 2016

"It's a String Thing" #125 Tiles

Happy Monday and Happy New Year to you too!
This week we popped some bubbly to celebrate the New Year.  Bubbly tangles to be exact, and it proved to be a wonderful respite in the midst of the holiday rush.

Let's take a look~

The first tile arrived from Christiane Kroth (Germany) and this is her first entry.  A very warm welcome to you Christiane ~
Tangled Tidbits -
*two large Sproket string lines
*darkened corner sections


From Ilse Lukken (The Netherlands) and here on her blog ~
My last entry for this year's It's a String challenge... Time flies! Thank you for all those creative moments of 2015! I wish you all the best for the New Year.
 Tangled Tidbits -
*shading adds a layered look to each of the string sections
*dark background of Bubbles


From Sarah at HungryCorgiStudios ~
I used all three tangles and some blues and sparkle. I really enjoyed the shape of this string and decided not to fuss with it or 'out think' it. Wouldn't be able to any way! Ha ha. Just wanted to pretty up a tile!
Tangled Tidbits - 
*Sprocket along two border lines
*center of sparkly Bubbles



From smgg (Taiwan) ~
Happy New Year!
Tangled Tidbits - 
*Sprocket covered string lines
*detailed Tipple

From Annie Taylor (Spain) ~
Hello Adele and very nearly A HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!
A lovely tangle this week which was a joy to do...
Please keep up this wonderful challenge and your glorious blog. Full of ideas, hints and beautiful art.
Tangled Tidbits -
*fabulous Sprocket corners
*shaded white spaces


From Jean Beckstrom (Alabama)~
...I want to wish you a very happy new year...Thank you for your challenges.
 Tangled Tidbits -
*a wonderful nod to Margaret Bremner's Tipple suggestions
*Sprocket string lines divide the Tipple variations


From Karen - The Creative Miss L (Canberra, Australia) and here on her blog ~
I enjoyed completing this challenge. I like drawing circles and you have introduced me to two new circle-based tangles. Thanks for that.

Tangled Tidbits -
*weighted center lines of Bubbles
*meticulously shaded Tipple


From Bhamathi Pai (Inidia)~
I have ended the last hour of the year 2015 tangling the IAST#125 tile..
What a beautiful way to end the year!!
Happy 2016 to you and all my fellow tanglers!! May this year see more creativity and tangling..



Tangled Tidbits - 
*delightful Tipple dew drops
*Tipple border
*beautiful balance of light and dark


From Karin (Germany) ~
happy new year to you (and all the others members of this great community).
I really liked this challenge!!! “Tipple” was one of the first Patterns I learned but it always looked simple when I used it. Thank you for the link to the tutorial; it was really amazing how this pattern can be varied!
I hope we will have a year with many exciting challenges!
Greetings from Germany!


Tangled Tidbits - 
*three Tipple variations 
*complimentary corner tangles


From Kate (United Kingdom)~
Here is my tile for challenge 125. I really enjoyed this, especially
Tipple - one of my favourites!
Tangled Tidbits - 
*Tipple cleverly defines the string
*weighted line on one side of Sprocket


From Beth Gaughan (North Carolina) ~
Happy New Year! Here is my tile for this week's bubbly challenge. I think it looks like a piece of filigree jewelry, my husband says it reminds him of a belt buckle.

Tangled Tidbits - 
*aura-ed Sprocket
*Tipple collects in Bubbles, Sprocket, and the corners of the border


From Tina Kirchhübel (Germany) ~
I wish you a very Happy New Year and hope you had wonderful Christmas Days. We had wonderful days with the family and now the first day of the year I found time for your challenge. There were a lot of circles to draw this week. I need some patience for this but it was also very relaxing.
I wish you for the new year a lot of creativity and look forward to all your challenges this year.
Greatings from Germany
Tangled Tidbits - 
*Sprocket tucks into the center white space
*shading and line weight add great dimension


From Debi Jacobs (Waterford, Wisconsin) ~
It's been pretty busy...so this is my first challenge in a while. Hope you had a great holiday! Here's my answer to #125.

Tangled Tidbits - 
*Sprocket string line
*large Bubbles compliments Tipple


From Donna (Pennsylvania) ~
Really enjoyed this combination of tangles and learned a lot.Sprocket created a happening in the first, while tipple variations and bubbles kept it focused in the second.
Thanks for all you do

 Tangled Tidbits -
*large, shaded Tipple
*black background of Sprocket with a border of Bubbles and four variations of Tipple



From CZT Cheryl Rotnem (California) ~
Tangled Tidbits -
*lovely dark spaces neighboring the center white space
*thicker black aura


From CZT Stephanie Jennifer (Singapore) ~
Here's my submission for this week's challenge. I love using "Tipple" as a filler tangle. I love that "Bubbles" is so similar to "Tipple". "Sprocket" was a new tangle for me.
(my blogmy website)
Thanks for hosting these weekly challenges~ It was lots of fun creating this tile.
 Tangled Tidbits -
*Tipple and Bubbles - black on white and white on black
*each finishing touch of Sprocket is different


From Stephanie's mother, CZT Joni Toh (Singapore) ~
Tangled Tidbtis -
*reverse Tipple in alternating corners
*bubbly layers of Bubbles


From Lin H (Florida) ~
Happy New Year! I'm trying to get off to a better start in 2016 not only by completing your weekly challenge but also by submitting it! It's been a year now since I first started tangling (thanks to Joan Delony, CZT in St. Augustine) and I am enjoying it more and more as I learn more tangle patterns. I think it also helps that my friend, Charlene, and I get together to try out new patterns and give ourselves a challenge using the new patterns. It's fun learning from each other. I hope to see you again soon and learn even more in one of your workshops.
Tangled Tidbits - 
*clever use of half of Sprocket
*complimentary light and dark Tipple and Bubbles




From Ingrid Coventon (The Netherlands) ~
Happy New Year to everyone!!
I hope 2016 will be an inspirational and creative year for all of us.
I tried to make a festive and bubbly tile. Thought to throw in some color but I doubt if that was the right thing to do. I liked the tile more without color, but forgot to make a picture of it. Anyhow, here is my first submission of this year.
Have a blessed and happy first week of 2016.
 Tangled Tidbits -
*cheerfully colorful Sprocket free of its aura
*effervescent Tipple center


From Sue Agnew (Tucson, Arizona) ~
It's true that (as Vera Giesbrecht and Linda Farmer say) Sprocket is a good border/outline tangle ... however, it seemed like filling in the sections afterwards would make the whole tile too busy. So I made some of the Sprocket circles like those in Bubbles, and I made some like those in Tipple. And then I threw in some CO2 in the corners for effervescence.
Thank you and here's to another year of Tickled to Tangle!
 Tangled Tidbits -
*wonderfully bubbly tangles
*creative tangleations using Sprocket


From Jane Glotzer (Colorado) ~
I don't think I have submitted anything since #119! I got started on #122, it had my favorite Kuke in it, so I had to give it a go, but it fell to the wayside, until this week! My submission is a mash up of the string and wonderful Kuke from challenge #122, and a bit of Tipple from this week's #125! Really just wanted to get something out there again, so you would know I am still here!!
My sons also convinced me to get on Instagram with my art, so I have been uploading away, and now have a social media presence--welcome to the 21st century, Jane--:)
You can find me on Instagram @plainjanemosaics. I will be uploading Zentangle too--:)
Happy Happy New Year again...and I'm happy to be back--:)
 Tangled Tidbits -
*creative combination of the challenges
*Tipple collects in the curves of the string


From Becky Welty (North Carolina) ~
Happy New Year Everyone!
Tangled Tidbits-
*neat uniformity of size and shape
*white space accents Tipple and Sprocket


From midori (Florida) ~
while stroking 'sprocket', i started conjuring up images of alien contact with mayan civilization. and, by the time i was tangling 'bubbles' and 'tipple', i could not get david bowie's tune 'space oddity' out of my head. is this some subliminal message for 2016? (fyi, no bubbly, while tangling this tile.)

Tangled Tidbits -
*Thank you for the space ship ride :)
*aura-ed, shaded sections created by Sprocket
*Bubbles tucked into Sprocket, Tipple into Bubbles


From Lily Moon (Hungary) ~
... here is my tile for your challenge.
Happy new year ! :)

Tangled Tidbits -
*Bubbles and Tipple pool into the corners of the center string section and shadow in the outer corners
*sublime shading


From Kirsten Bish (Northern Michigan) ~
Enclosed please find my newest Tangle "Micro Cell". I used all the tangles in the challenge in addition to one I'm not sure of the name,i got it confused with BUBBLES. TIPPLE is one of my go to tangles I use it quite a bit as a filler tangle. SPROCKET is a fun tangle and I want to use it in a tangle with GEARS.
Thanks for the challenge
Tangled Tidbits -
*Sprocket center string line with two little side branches
*varied line weight
The other pattern is Lori Byerly's Bublz.



A very warm welcome to Meg Elias ~
My first contribution. Hope I did it right. :). Thanks for the inspiration!
Tangled Tidbits -
*Yes, you did it "right" because YOU did it :)
*bubbly Tipple
*Hollibaugh effect with aura-ed string lines


From Susan Theron (South Africa) ~
Happy new year from a very hot Velddrif, South Africa.
Here is my tipple quilt.
 Tangled Tidbits -
*multiple variations of Tipple - each well shaded
*Sprocket center string line

From Anita A Westin (Dalarna, Sweden) ~
Here is my entry for the first challenge this year. It was fun and relaxing and I enjoyed it! Happy New Year 2016
Tangled Tidbits -
*aura-ed Tipple string lines
*Bubbles shines with varying centers

A very warm welcome to Jami (Ohio) ~
...this is the 1st time I have submitted anything for any challenge. I am too critical of my own drawings. Every week, I stop in and admire all the beautiful tangles everyone else shares. Now it is a new year, and I am ready to start sharing. Thanks for the inspiration.

 Tangled Tidbits -
*Tipple outlined Bubbles
*weighted lines for Sprocket
Congratulations for making this step - you will inspire more to do the same!



From Henrike Bratz ~
I’m quite late with my entry for “It’s a string thing #125” It took some time to tangle this tile. Yesterday evening I tried to calm down and draw all the circles slowly and as round as possible. This gave me a “Zen”-peace of mind and I enjoyed it a lot! I did the shading in the morning and am very pleased with the results.
I wish you a fantanstic and happy new year!!
Best wishes from frosty Germany (at last!!)

Tangled Tidbits -
*fabulously detailed tangles - notice the centers of Sprocket especially
*aura, darkened backgrounds and border, and elegant shading


From ToniLyn D (Florida) ~
This Tangle is entitled "Not wild about sprocket" lol It was my entry for Tickled to Tangle's weekly "It's a string thing #125" challenge, it features Bubbles, Sprocket, & Tipple with Paradox and Ta-Da
I have also been working on my own blog and website 
Tangled Tidbits -
*Bubbles and Tipple filled Sprocket
*complimentary tangles complete the tile


From Sharyn Penna (Massachusetts) ~
Wishing you a very Happy New Year!
While I completed your last few prompts, I simply didn't take time out in my mornings to photo and send my tiles. Focus and organize are my concentration words for the new year.
I love Cathy Clifford's string! It mixed so well with the chosen tangles ... I was going to use tipple just as an outline, but I started to see a cobblestone type affect so I went with it. Thank you for sharing so many wonderful prompts ... this was a very peaceful tangling moment to end the holiday rush.
Wednesday we celebrate Little Christmas ... it also marks our time to take down the tree and put away away the decorations till next Christmas. In a couple weeks our town has a festive bonfire for the many discarded real trees. Ours will be among the pile.
Cheers to you and the New Year!
Tangled Tidbits -
*Tipple borders string line and Sprocket
*Tipple flows around Bubbles and into the string sections
I wish we could all attend that festive bonfire!


And now...the tile for honors this week was sent in by
Jennifer Montag of Kansas ~


Tangled Tidbits -
*aura-ed clusters of Bubbles
*weighted lines and wonderful shading throughout
*darkened background and arua of Tipple and Bubbles
*varied centers of Sprocket
*shadowed Sprocket string lines

Congratulations Jennifer!  I have a little some thing coming in the mail to you.

Happy New Year to everyone and thank you to all this week's participants.
Many thanks to the creative minds behind out string and tangles this week:

TanglePatterns String 125 by Cathy Clifford 
Bubbles by CZT Suzanne McNeill
Sprocket by Vera Giesbrecht
Tipple by Maria Thomas, Zentangle® co-founder 

Check back tomorrow afternoon for "It's a String Thing" #126!

1 comment: