Monday, September 21, 2015

"It's a String Thing" #110 Tiles

Before the parade of tiles begins, I must say thank you for the compliments on my new tangle, Kisses.  It was especially heartening to know that similar sweet memories of Hershey Park were shared.  I promise to add Kisses to a challenge very soon.

This week we used two familiar tangles and one never used in this challenge before - just three tangles, but as you will see, the tiles are all so beautifully different.

Let's take a look.

This first tile arrived from CZT Joan Delony (Florida) ~
Yes, I was up at 5:00 and in the mood to tangle. I think Antidots and N'zeppel had something to do with it. Two of my favorite tangles.
Tangled Tidbits -
*Antidots shadows
*curved corners of 'Nzeppel
*pops of Antidots on Maisie


From Janne Faherty (United Kingdom) ~
Here's this weeks tile. I love how it turned out this week somehow it looks a bit like a butterfly. Was fun to do and I've coloured it in autumnal colours 'coz its definitely coming here in the UK .
Tangled Tidbits -
*gorgeous shades of gold and green
*random dividing lines of 'Nzeppel
*Maisie black dots add lovely weight


From Juul (France) ~
Here is my tile....I think it looks like a sausage cut in two. I didn't manage to do something more "harmonic" and tried to save it with colours.
Congratulations to your new tangle that I just discovered! Its just lovely. And well I prefer cheese....more than chocolate haha! Maybe one day you will create a cheese-tangle ? Who knows !
(I'll see what I can come up with :)

Tangled Tidbits -
*billowing Antidots
*neat rows of Maisie
*'Nzeppel colored to accent diamond shapes


From Lily (Hungary) with a "ZenHug" ~

Tangled Tidbits -
*Renaissance tile, pretty highlights
*Printemps filled Maisie
*deep black background of Antidots

From Sarah at hungrycorgistudio ~
I really liked learning these tangles, two which were new for me. Used all three but left some space. Tried out new Sakura colored Micron pen too which is always fun.
Tangled Tidbits -
*curved Maisie
*'Nzeppel without the grid lines
*green and 'growing' Antidots


A very warm welcome to Q from Adelaide, Australia ~
This is the first time I am participating in It’s a String Thing, (officially), I did create something for #108, but didn’t [submit] it. Congratulations on your 500th blog post! That is a great milestone and I hope sales of your lovely frames are going well. I have had no official zentangle training, but have been quite obsessed since I stumbled across instructions a few weeks ago. Thank you for hosting this wonderful challenge and for the massive effort you go into sharing everyone’s work every week. I am very familiar with antidots since it is the same as free motion quilting feathering and that was my go to doodle pre being tangle aware. It is already second nature so it flowed out the pen nib quickly. I love nzeppel! It is so exciting watching the grid transform into this other worldly surface as you draw it. This was the first time I tried any of these ones.
My effort is attached and I have blogged about it here 

Tangled Tidbits ~
*glorious fields of Anitidots
*shaded 'Nzeppel accentuates the curves
*Maisie in Maisie



From Karin (Germany) ~
this is my entry to challenge 110.
Last week I couldn´t sent my tile to you because my internet-router crashed and I was offline for 4 days! Awful!
Now I´m online again and happy that I can join the tangle adventure. I really liked the string and the patterns as well!
(Welcome back!)
Tangled Tidbits -
*weighted lines of Maisie - and nice detail, too
*Antidots moves from a center point
*neatly squared grid for 'Nzeppel


From Ilse Lukken ~
Too late, I discovered I really liked to draw Maisie - I would have loved to give it a bigger part in my tile. Oh well, I'll use it again soon in another tile :-)
My tile is on my blog as well.

Tangled Tidbits -
*two variations of Maisie
*each bubble of 'Nzeppel carefully shaded
*lovely layers of Antidots made more prominent with shading


From Michele Wynne ~
Here this weeks tile. I loved this challenge...eventually. Great string, great patterns including my favorite, 'nzepple, yet I was stumped as to what to do with it all. After two botched attempts, it came down to this.
There's a bit more on the blog.As always, thanks for all you do.
Tangled Tidbits -
*'Nzeppel in Maisie
*light touch of Antidots
*addition of shadowed wisps that hug the string and curl on


From Ingrid (The Netherlands) ~
Just my tile this time with a big hug.


Tangled Tidbits -
*dotted Antidots :)
*light and large 'Nzeppel
*delightful detail of Maisie


From Cheryl Rotnem, CZT (California) ~
Again, thanks for a wonderful string and great tangles to do! I really enjoyed my time with it. Always like N'zepple, it's a fun tangle to do.
Tangled Tidbits -
*alternating black and white for Antidots
*shaded waves of Maisie
*shaded 'Nzeppel grids


From Tina Kirchhübel ~
this week I love the patterns you choose. They are all easy to draw and you didn´t need to think about the step-outs. `Nzeppel is one of my favorites from the beginning. The others were new to me but I think I will use them more often in future tiles.
Again a great THANKS to you for the great challenge.
My entry is also on my blog
Greetings from Germany


Tangled Tidbits -
*Antidots conform to the string sections
*'Nzeppel beautifully rounded and shaded
*pretty Maisie center string ovals


From CZT Carolyn Russell (Florida) ~
Here is 110. NZeppel has always been a favorite and Antidots are just fun to draw. This is the first time I've played with Maisie and really love the look. The variation I chose reminds me of water or tunnels. Both I think are cool looking. This tile ended up with the Antidots looking like they were floating. Fun tile! [On my blog]
(Caroline also shared her memories and ties to Hershey Park on her blog.)

Tangled Tidbits -
*detail lines repeat in Antidots and Maisie
*aura-ed Antidots
*super shading


From Lisa Preston (Marietta GA) ~
Well, I don't know if I really like this, but I did it, so I'm sending it... It kind of reminds me of two baskets of oysters floating in the water. Somehow I didn't end up with enough contrast for my taste, so I ended up doing some heavier shading than I normally do.
I like your new Kisses tangle. I remember going to Hershey Park when I was a kid. These days I work for a company that makes packaging for Hershey products. I keep hearing how yummy they are right off the manufacturing line, but haven't gotten a chance to taste yet.
(That sounds absolutely delicious - warm chocolate, right off the line...let us know when you get to try it!)
Tangled Tidbits -
*'Nzeppel 'baskets' filled to overflowing with Antidots
*fabulous waves of Maisie
*detail dots repeat in Anitdots and Maisie


From Jessie Plouffe (Connecticut) ~
Here's my submission for It's a String Thing this week; I really liked
this selection of tangles. I decided to use two large Antidots, with a
bit of Purk, and I also added some Tipple in the corners. Thank you
again for choosing my tile for honors last week :).


Tangled Tidbits -
*fabulous combination of Purk and Anitdots
*two variations of Maisie - sparkled
*shading distinguishes the string sections


From Lori Byerly ~
Another fun challenge with a great choice of string and patterns.
You may also see my tile here

Tangled Tidbits -
*'Nzeppel filled Maisie - alternating black and white halves
*meticulous shading adds depth
*plump Antidots


From Sally Sheldon (Massachusetts) ~


Tangled Tidbits -
*flower-like bursts of 'Nzeppel
*weighted lines
*beautiful variations of Antidots and Maisie


From Deb Jacobs (Wisconsin) ~
Good morning Adele, I missed the last few challenges, so definitely enjoyed this one. Thank you as always for your time. Loved these tangles. 
Tangled Tidbits -
*Maisie stands out in blue
*layers of Antidots
*dark diamonds for 'Nzeppel


From Jennifer Sparrow (NC) ~
Hope you are thriving! Thanks for our challenge this week. After last week's overgrown garden, I saw some opportunity for space in this week's challenge. I can breathe!
Tangled Tidbits -
*light Antidots
*thick black center line of Maisie
*wonderful white space



From Beth Gaughan (North Carolina) ~
Here is my tile for this week's challenge. It was a fun one, with a couple of new patterns for me. Also, congratulations on your new tangle, Kisses! We lived in southeastern PA for 17 years and have fond memories of taking the kids to Hershey Park.

Tangled Tidbits -
*Maisie in two different variations - one squat and one elongated
*grand 'Nzeppel
*detailed Antidots


From Linda Goncalves ( Pennsylvania) ~
I really enjoyed working with all three but Maisie was the hardest for
me. I tried it with different patterns on the "light" side, then
finally just decided to simplify it. I am not sure it's "right" but I
had fun with it this week. 
(Yes, it is 'right' because you tangled it :)

Tangled Tidbits -
*dark centers of Maisie
*light Antidots
*small 'Nzeppel loops


From Annie Taylor (Spain) ~
'Nzepple is a favourite, but I have never, ever done Antidots - can you imagine? And I loved it - hence the slight excess here. Maisie was one that was new to me and I like the 'smiley' mouth aspect of it.
My tile is 'purely Zentangle' - no tangleations, no clever bits, just three lovely tangles in a very interesting string.
Tangled Tidbits -
*Antidots spring from each corner and move inward
*an arua-ed string line
*detailed variation of Maisie


From Jane Glotzer (Colorado!) ~
It was cool trying this new natural colored paper...I will have to experiment with some other color Sakuras...
I went with a balanced, symmetrical-ish approach to #110...Maisie didn't make it in, but I do love Antidots! Only two variations on this one and a bit of 'Nzeppel...I am never quite happy with my versions of that, and never quite sure why--maybe someone can suggest what I need to do differently...anyway, a touch of shading (and I just noticed I didn't shade my smaller Antidots, but oh well...) and there it is...
Enjoyed your Hershey memories...I grew up in Brooklyn, NY and we did a family trip to Lancaster when I was young, too. I can still remember that sweet smell of chocolate...

Tangled Tidbits -
*single Antidots in opposite corners, clusters in the others
*pretty variations of Antidots
*a light touch of 'Nzeppel

From Sue Agnew (Arizona) ~
Here's challenge #110. I think this is the first time I have ever not explicitly followed instructions and snuck in an undesignated tangle ... but how could you unveil a fun new tangle and NOT expect us to want to use it?!?! I enjoyed Maisie but couldn't quite figure out how to combine it with the rest, so I made Maisie-shaped leaves in my version of Antidot.
Thank you! Need chocolate now ..
Tangled Tidbits -
*that is just plain fun - the debut of Kisses on an entry, thank you Sue :)
*'Nzeppel on a curved grid.  Notice the ends of that sections with the rounded corners.
*leaves of Maisie


From Linda (Phoenix, Arizona) ~
Thanks again for this week’s challenge. I’ve had fun trying to master Maisie. As a quilter, I can easily relate to Antidots. And ‘Nzeppel is one of my favorite tangles. I had a hard time feeling at home with the String at first, but it felt better to me rotated as I’ve used it below. I’m always fascinated to see what others come up with on their tiles. In fact, that was one of my favorite aspects of quilting and I think, one of my favorite aspects of tangling. Give 3 or 30 people the same string (layout) and patterns (materials) and you are guaranteed to get 3-30 different outcomes. It’s what makes life so interesting. We’re all individuals who see and express ourselves in our own distinct ways! I really appreciate being able to be a part of this group. Health issues have greatly limited my life, but Zentangle has gotten my creative juices flowing again and I love it. I’ll look for you on Monday!!
(It is the most wonderful community and what a gift it is that tangling pulled you back into your creative ways.  Thank you for sharing them with us.)
Tangled Tidbits -
*full grid of 'Nzeppel
*ovals of Anitdots
*pretty variation of Maisie


From Sharyn Penna (Massachusetts) ~
Firstly, CONGRATS on 500 posts! Secondly, LOVE the Kisses tangle! Looking forward to a prompt that includes it.
You gave us yet another prompt that just put me in the zone ... I love Nzeppel ... probably because the grid is softened within. I wanted to shade Nzeppel, but I'd already shaded around Maisie and Antidots, so I stippled ... zoned on stippling. Then I softened it with a little shading. Then I stippled and shaded Maisie. Maisie makes me think of seashells. Thanks for offering up a happy prompt that took my mind to the beach. 
Tangled Tidbits -
*curved line details of Maisie give it an entirely different look
*Antidots sprouts from the center outward
*stippled 'Nzeppel


From Joy (State College, Pennsylvania) ~
Definitely fun for a water sign like me! Loved these tangles.
Tangled Tidbits -
*another nod to water and beach fun
*the second sighting of Kisses - yay!
*various sizes of Antidots in the same string area


From Midori, CZT (Florida) ~
after doing several 'warm-up's on the three fun, contrasting patterns (maisie, nzeppel, anti dots), i felt fairly comfortable during the rest of the tangling process.
i cannot recall the orientation of the original string.
i found myself turning the paper continuously.
as for shading...mmmm...
the marker was handy in creating quick drop shadows for nzeppel
and for the interior of oval motifs of maisie.
as for blending with markers, i would like to practice more, until i get the consistency. perhaps, i will stick to graphite/ tortillion?!
Tangled Tidbits -
*string of awesome Antidots
*wonderful sense of movement created with Maisie
*beautiful shading


From Kristen Kostelnik Killips (Michigan) ~
Hope you are well and having a nice Fall down there in sunny Florida. We are enjoying a lovely, warm one here in Michigan so far. Here's to hoping that continues! Summer was crazy and did not yield much time for tangling... I'm pleased to have found a few minutes to myself to jump into this week's challenge. I loved it, although I feel a bit rusty.
Thanks and hope to be a more regular participant again now,
(The calendar says that Fall arrives on Wednesday, but here in Florida September is still very hot and summery.  Our weather gets a just a bit cooler in October.)
Tangled Tidbits -
*two large ovals of Maisie with sparkle
*light Antidots with repeated tipple from Maisie
*soft shading


From Becky Welty (North Carolina) ~

Tangled Tidbits -
*weighted mid line of Maisie
*'Nzeppel string curves
*large centers of each Antidots


A very warm welcome to Jennifer (Alaska), the very first contributor from that great state ~
This is my first success in incorporating a string and my first participation in any challenge. When I turned the string around and around trying to decide which tangle could go where, I saw the wave used in Maisie and off I went. The ‘wing’ above my chop was suppose to be n’zeppel, which I love, but never looked or felt right when I tried it! And my lines were so wiggly. I finally discovered an easier way (yes, the right way) to do it which is shown on the left. Ah ha! It felt soothing to tangle n’zeppel as intended. Antidots is so fun to draw swooping back and forth that I could hardly stop myself. Thanks for your great challenge and display each week, I’m so glad I finally put pen to tile and joined in.
Tangled Tidbits -
*graceful Maisie
*two variations of 'Nzeppel
*pretty curls with weighted lines


From Talia Maynard (London, UK) ~
Another challenge I really enjoyed. 'Nzeppel is one of my favourite grid tangles, it always looks quite elegant.
I haven't tried the other two patterns but I think they all work well together.
I had a terrible non-zen moment - I managed to smudge a lot of my dots just as I'd finished drawing it all. So frustrating to ruin it at the last minute!
Anyway, I like the final result.
(It isn't 'ruined, just more interesting :)


Tangled Tidbits - 
*neat grids of 'Nzeppel with shaded centers
*four curves for each Antidot
*lovely central pair of Maisie 'leaves'


From Felicity Strohfeldt (South Africa) ~
I loved the string this week and the different tangle patterns. I call my tile, Tumbling baskets of Spring. Fitting as it’s Spring here as you know. Antidots is a perfect tangle to morf into flowery patterns and I used Maisie as the complimentary “foliage” in my baskets of Spring. Nzeppel filled in well as the weave of the baskets. Also on my blog. Hope it’s not too busy, but I had a good time zenning away with it. Have a great week

Tangled Tidbits - 
*a lovely spring inspired tile
*beautifully brimming Antidots in multiple variations
*streamers of Maisie


From Cathy Cusson ~
I think I sliced up some lime on my tile! N’zeppel is my absolute favorite tangle. It just is so much fun!

Tangled Tidbits -
*lovely lime colored tangles
*one large 'Nzeppel for each of the center string sections
*black background for Antidots


From Susan Theron (South Africa) ~
My contribution:
Also on my blog

Tangled Tidbits -
*three variations of Maisie - nice touch with a single one off to the side
*white dots and shading for Antidots
*softly shaded 'Nzeppel


From Pat F. (Ohio) ~
Just want to say thank you for what you do. I didn't tangle much this past year, but finding your challenge has got me going again and renewed my enthusiasm! This weeks challenge was a tough one working the patterns into that string. I really like n'zepple but I'd forgotten how much goes into just setting up the grid. Not my best but submitting anyhow.
(Wonderful news to know that your enthusiasm is renewed with this challenge!)

Tangled Tidbits -
*two large light Antidots contrast with the denser tangles
*Maisie sections curve in the same direction
*neatly tangled 'Nzeppel background


From Marla Mendenhall (California) ~
Nzepple is one of my favorite go-to's, so anything with it is fun, and I loved the flow ofdrawing the other two patterns. Of tile #2 I can only say that my husband said, "Why don't you ever do anything in color?" And so I did.

Tangled Tidbits - 
*spectacular details on Antidots and Maisie
*by using curves and straight lines - close and further apart, 'Nzeppel takes on many different looks
*a beautiful ZIA with Antidot 'flowers'


From Rose O Keeffe (Ireland) ~
I tried something new this week- I assigned each tangle a number asked my SO to label the string sections with the numbers 1, 2 and 3 randomly and away I tangled! Interesting approach and I ended up with a tile I probably never would have done otherwise. I had used Nzeppel and Antidots a few times but Maisie was new to me. I see a lot of possibilities with it so I'll definitely be using it again.
Thanks for another great challenge and do have a fabulous week! :-)
Tangled Tidbits - 
*that is a great idea - a random number generator with heart, if you will
*circular grid of 'Nzeppel
*sprays of Antidots, sparkled and shaded
*marvelous Maisie


From Elisa Pahlawan (Paris, France) ~
Thanks again for your challenges: they give me the opportunity to discover and practice new patterns. I love the way Antidots can easily grow in an organic way and I will clearly use Nzeppel again as I like how you can play with its lines.

Tangled Tidbits - 
*all the patterns seem to grow from one point
*light and darker Antidots string lines
*center string line ovals - one large Maisie and of smaller rows



And now, the tile for honors this week was sent in by

Anita A Westin from Dalarna, Sweden ~
Here is my entry for The string thing 110. Maisie was new to me. It is Lovely! With this string I had to use ´Nzeppel as if it was two halves of a Zeppelin burning inside with antidots.
Tangled Tidbits -
*one large, shaded and sparkled Antidots in each of the string's ovals
*full background of Maisie nicely striped and sparkled
*deeply shaded string sections provide depth and dimension


Congratulations, Anita! 
I have a little something coming in the mail for you. 


Thank you to all of the talented tanglers for the treats this week.

Many thanks as well to the creative minds behind the string and tangles:

TanglePatterns String 110 by Beth Snoderly
Maisie by Carla Jennings

'Nzeppel by Maria Thomas 

Antidots by Anita Roby-Lavery, CZT



Check back Tuesday afternoon for "It's a String Thing" #111!


























No comments:

Post a Comment