Tuesday, June 16, 2015

"It's a String Thing" #96 Tiles

This proved to be a curious combination of tangles as many of you mentioned this week.  We combined two free flowing patterns, one dot grid, and one square grid pattern, with an angular and looped string.  Kudos to those of you who tried it despite your misgivings, because the results are really fun and fabulous.  Let's take a look ~


From Cathy Cusson ~
Nearly 100?! That is awesome! Previously I had tried nipa and not been at all happy with the results. Something was just not right. It should be simple but for some reason it totally evaded me. But when I looked at your tips for doing this tangle something clicked. I am not sure what it was but something made me look at this tangle differently and I honestly had so much fun doing this tangle (for the first time) I nearly did a monotangle! Thanks!
Tangled Tidbits - 
*backdrop of Nvelope
*shading elevates the string and tangles
*GREAT Nipa!


From Michele Wynne ~
Here's my contribution for week #96. This one came together easily and I really enjoyed it.
The string wanted to morph into Nvelope, so I let it.
I've been a little off the grid with some my challenges of late and though I completed last weeks challenge on time, it seems I forgot to send it. It's on my blog.
Tangled Tidbits - 
*she followed the tangle's lead
*one large Nvelope
*superb shading

From Cheryl Stocks ~
You must be so excited to see 100 looming ever larger!
This is what 96 wanted to be and on my blog...
Thanks for the challenge. Have a brilliant day!



Tangled Tidbits -
*Neuron string line
*glimpses of Nvleope
*wonderful waves of Nipa


From Cheryl Rotnem, CZT ~
Here we are with another string challenge. I am glad to be doing these. Did all but one this time. Nipa kinda reminds me of water, hence the color blue. Tried to make that main circle like a dew drop, didn't do so well. Had a couple of oops, but just went with it.
Tangled Tidbits -
*nice dew drop effect on Nipa
*light Nvelope
*well shaded Nuwave

From me :)   This looked especially challenging so I gave it a go ~
Tangled Tidbits -
*Nipa circles repeat throughout
*the lower right point of the string turned into one section of Nvelope dotted with Nipa
*repeated black diamonds of Nvelope

From Juul who is "looking foreward to the 100 th tile also!"
Tangled Tidbits -
*a red path to one side of each beautifully shaded circle of Nipa 
*detailed Nvleope
*pleasing balance of color and shading



From Sarah Antoinette ~
I used Neuron and Nuwave for my pick of the 'N's' and Roxi at the bottom. Great new tangles to learn! And a challenging string!  [My blog]
Tangled Tidbits -
*pretty shades of gray in Neuron
*depth achieved with diminishing sizes of Roxi


From Sandra ~
thanks for this wonderful challenge :-) I liked the string this week and I used all four patterns. I only knew Nipa before and I had fun to learn new patterns. I liked especially Nuwave - it's easy to draw but very effective :-)
In my blog my tile is here
Many greetings from sunny germany,

Tangled Tidbits - 
*floating Nipa circles
*Nuwave with shaded corners and black centers
*wonderfully curved lines in Nipa


A very warm welcome to Kai ~
Thanks for running this Challenge. I enjoyed having the string chosen for me. They were very busy patterns, I wouldn't normally have chosen to put them together. I liked Nipa which is why it went in the centre, but I also loved Neuron which got used the most. With hindsight I think it might have been better to reverse the position of these two.
Anyway here it is:

Tangled Tidbits -
*Nipa makes for a very good center
*just a touch of Nvelope
*three fields of Neuron

From Ilse Lukken ~
Here's my entry for this week, from sunny Holland :-)

Tangled Tidbits - 
*large pattern of Nuwave
*really pleasing mix of light and dark patterns and spaces
*super shading


From Carmela ~
Thanks for this lovely challenge, i like the string very much and tangled with joy.  [My blog]
Tangled Tidbits -
*two versions of Nvelope
*pretty waves of Nipa
*curved lines of Nuwave

From Henrike Bratz ~
I tangled this week’s tile in (on??) my lap sitting in the garden...We’ve been waiting for warm weather for months [in Germany]. It has been cold for much too long. But the last days have been warm and sunny. At the moment I’m recovering from a flu and the tangling in the garden has been perfect!!


Tangled Tidbits - 
*the sun is shining in this tile!
*wispy lines and dots for Nuwave
*Nvelope anchors the wavier tangles


A very warm welcome to Eunice Robertson ~
Hi, this is my first attempt at the challenge, being a newbie, you know. My first attempt was a disaster, 2nd one much better. And i learnt 3 new tangles.

Tangled Tidbits - 
*thick waves of Nuwave
*pretty fine lines of Nipa
*airy Neuron




From Ragged Ray ~
...I'm still pleasantly surprised at never quite knowing how a tile might turn out. I freed Nvelope from its grid and fused Nuwave and Nipa together. And a light and airy tile was the result!
Tangled Tidbits -
*a wonderfully light and airy tile
*grid free Nvelope with black centers
*Nvelope detail lines in Neuron


From Tabitha Barnett ~
This challenge was fun. It turned out way better than I expected. Most of these patterns (all but nipa) were new to me. I didn't think it was going to turn out very well, but I kept with it, and am actually pleased with the outcome. Looking forward to everyone's results! [my work]

Tangled Tidbits -
*impressive curves in Nipa
*many lines of Neuron
*superb shading



From Annie Taylor ~
I didn't think I would enjoy this week's challenge as much as some of the others as the tangles were not very organic ones. But, what do you know? I enjoyed it very much!! No surprise really - what's not to enjoy? I added a touch of colour - and although you can't see it, the colours sparkle and really make Nipa come alive.
Thank you - I hope I always say this as I do so enjoy your challenge and seeing what others have done with the same string and patterns.
(and I thank you:)
Tangled Tidbits - 
*awesome shading
*light grid for Nvelope
*Neuron background makes the tangles stand out


From Lily Moon ~
Tangled Tidbits -
*water droplets of Nipa - expert shading!
*Nuwave curves follow the string curves
*pretty sparkle


From Peggy in Colorado ~
I so enjoy the summer and now that we have had less rain I can be outside.
This weeks tangles were half new and half old friends. My friends were Nipa and Neuron which placed themselves in the pointy egg shape. I used my Manga markers for the shaded spaces in Neuron. Nvelope is really fun to do but unfortunately none stayed whole on my tile. What little bit of Nuwave is along the side, it tucks under the "egg". I'm always surprised by the final result- this time shading made the difference.
So excited to participate in the String Thing. Won't be long and 100 will be upon you and us. Can't wait to see what you will have for us.
(Thank you, it will be a treat!)
Tangled Tidbits - 
*glimpses of Nvelope
*Nipa lines aura from the string
*shading and marker shades are lovely


From Anna Mega with a "Good afternoon for Greece  Good morning for Florida" ~


Tangled Tidbits -
*lines of Neuron flow into Nipa
*variety in the size of Nipa circles
*shading adds great dimension


From Clémence ~
thanks so much for organizing this challenge!
Parallel lines tend to hurt my eyes since I have astigmatism so this
week's patterns were not easy for me. This explains why Neuron took
the leading role in this tile. ;)
Looking forward to seeing everyone else's tiles!
Tangled Tidbits - 
*single row of Nuwave - great idea
*two dark curves for Nipa
*splashes of sparkle


From Ingrid Coventon ~
This tile has become a little psychedelic. It also reminds me of confetti. Nevertheless I loved to draw the tile.
Tangled Tidbits -
*thick crisscrossed ovals in Nvelope
*Neuron peeks through the middle
*well shaded Nuwave


From Alexandra Henrich ~
this week I'm coming up with a little bit of color. When I first practiced the patterns a little bit I colored the wings of Nvelope like tiny rainbows, which gives the whole thing a look like stained glass. Although I was quite pleased with the outcome and will definitely use this fun-to-do pattern again, I went for a watercolor background for the actual challenge - as usual it was a pleasure to simply let go and tangle away.

Tangled Tidbits -
*light and lovely tangles
*aura-ed waves of Nuwave - and they peek through Nipa
*Nipa morphs into Neuron


From Amrita Chaudhary ~
Here is my response to the challenge done in a very organic manner.
No takes, no variations....just the tangles in their original avatar.
Simplicity is the main attraction of the chosen tangles this week.

Tangled Tidbits -
*flowing Nuwave
*Neuron surround
*a pop of white space



From Jeanine Berry ~
Somehow I ran out of time this week, so I only had a chance to do these all-new tangles once. I liked them all and look forward to using them a lot with more practice. You were so right about the curves. They did seem determined to straighten out. I didn't think I would like NuWave
Tangled Tidbits - 
*sparkled black dots of Neuron and dainty lines
*narrow lines of Nvelope with larger dark sections
*Nuwave tucks behind Nvelope and comes out the other side


From Lucy Banta ~
Congrats on nearing the 100th challenge! That is an incredible accomplishment, for which I am forever grateful. You do an amazing job each week of gathering all the photos and writing nice tidbits about each tile. Thank you!
Here's my challenge this week, and the link to my blog

Tangled Tidbits - 
*Knightsbridge for Nvelope!
*striped and sparkled lines of Nvelope
*great curves and shading for Nipa


From Jane Glotzer ~
I started with Neuron in the background space, and while I thought for sure there'd be some Nipa or Nvelope or Nuwave, as you can see by my finished #96, Neuron just took over! Next came the center bubble in Neuron, still expecting some other patterns to make an appearance, but by the time I added Neuron to the top triangular shape, and I very much loved how the two sides butted up to each other, it was destined to be a monotangle...added the final Neuron in the lower right and left the remaining white to show it all off...oh, and added a touch of red to my aura-ed circles...love it! It kind of has a Picasso/Mondrian/Miro feel...

Tangled Tidbits -
*it does have that "masterpiece" feel to it!
*lovely layers of the tangle add dimension
*dramatic white space


From Jessie Plouffe ~
Wow, this one was a challenge! I've never really used any of these
tangles, so putting them together well proved difficult. Though this
tile doesn't fit my usual style, I'm pleased with how it turned out!

Tangled Tidbits -
*fabulous variation of Neuron
*complimentary curves of Nipa and Nuwave
*beautiful balance of shaded, black, and white spaces


From Tabitha Bedoukian ~
I hope you've had a fantabulous week! This is my tile for this week. I got the Nuwaves wrong, but this was already my second attempt, so can we consider it a tangleation...? :)
Tangled Tidbits -
*yes, because there are no wrongs :)
*curves of Nipa appear in Neuron
*dark center of Nvelope


From Deb Jacob ~
Thank you once again for posting your challenge. More new to me tangles that I enjoyed. I had a lot of fun with this one. Have a great week!
"Do one thing today that makes you happy."

Tangled Tidbits -
*sparkled black spaces of Neuron
*deep waves of Nuwave
*variety of circles in Nipa



From Portia Hyde ~
This a travel-around, never-rest your eye tangle and it felt better standing on its corner.
Thanks for the tangle.


Tangled Tidbits -
*wonderful description - It is a treat that the eye travels around and takes the tangles in.
*shaded background of Nuwave
*Nipa and Nvelope worked into Neuron


From Sharyn Penna ~
This week's tile was a surprise ... I didn't know how I'd get the tangles to work together... I'm happy with the finished tile. Nipa carried on last weeks bubbly celebrations. Thank you for the step out tips you share so often ... because of your tips, I'm finally getting the hang of Nipa. Your extra pearls of technique are the little things in life that bring a grand applause  
Tangled Tidbits - 
*Nuwave on a curved dot grid - brilliantly sparkled
*variety in sizes of circles for Nipa and they float away!
*creative variation of Nvelope


From Becky Welty ~

Tangled Tidbits - 
*scalloped edge of Nvelope
*Nuwave large curves
*two sections of Nipa with lines going in opposing directions




From Beverly Gotthardt ~
Great string and great patterns this week. It worked best for me to flip it upside down,also my Nuwave pattern is a lot looser than the original.
Thanks for the warm welcome last week.
Here's the link to my blog post

Tangled Tidbits - 
*dark Nvelope anchors the lighter tangles
*shadowed circles of Nipa
*Neuron lines flow into Nipa


A very warn welcome to Lynne Harvey ~
Hi - This is the first time I have submitted a challenge to anyone! I'm fairly new to tangling ~ my CZT told me to try some challenges to "stretch" ...
I thought I'd try something a little different with white on black - I think it looks dramatic and somewhat like space ... hope you like it.
oh - I do have a small blog of my tangling and class projects 
Tangled Tidbits - 
*a sensational white on black tile
*center section of a simplified Nvelope looks very lace-like
*super highlighting on Nipa


From Kerstin ~
I´m late this time, but I had a lot of fun tangling the String Thing of the last week.
You can find my zentangle also on my blog Have a nice week and much greetings from germany,
Tangled Tidbits - 
*doubled string lines with a bit of dots and dashes
*three lovely sections of tangles
*free floating Nipa circles


From Efie ~ groetjes uit holland!
Tangled Tidbits - 
*wonderful waves of Nuwave
*Nvelope free from a grid
*a single line of Nipa


From Felicity Strohfeldt ~
Sure you have gorgeous Summer weather in Florida by now. We’re hav[ing] inclement ,cold misty weather along the west coast [South Africa] at present. Rather depressing.
I gave the challenge a bleary look and thought: “Oh dear, how can I ever combine the patterns Nipa, Nuwave, Neuron and Nvelope into a worthwhile tile?”
So I took charge to counteract depression and the weather this week. The final product, tile 96 seems to suggest surfboards, exuberant waves, moons in clear skies among atoms and neurons on a harlequin chequered board. I hope Nvelope passes the test, after I modified it somewhat, to become a focus with a difference. Eventually all came together to dissolve the mistiness and the depression it brought.
Also on my blog 
Tangled Tidbits - 
*thank you for the inspiring words - and work
*Nipa circles and Nuwave waves free floating
*fabulous use of shading


From Susan Theron ~
We are moving...in July and between the packing, I have to try to do the challenges. But I enjoyed it very much. Also on my blog

Tangled Tidbits -
*wonderful waves of Nuwave
*two variations of Nvelope
*nice depth in Nipa


From Beth Broadway ~
Love the combination of tangles...except for my coffee mishap...I like how it turned out.

Tangled Tidbits - 
*coffee makes it look like a Renaissance tile :)
*beautiful border of Nvelope
*alternating waves of shaded and black Nuwave



And now the tile for honors this week was sent in by...
Talia Maynard !
Talia's tile was the first to arrive this week.  She wrote ~
I have had a terrible mental block over the last few challenges due to lots of work and life stress, but this week I've taken the time to at least finish my piece. Listening to music and tangling on the train has certainly been therapeutic for me. There's a lot going on in my world and completing this String has made me feel like I've accomplished something that was totally under my control. It's a great feeling! So thank you very much for running these challenges. Hopefully I'll be back again next week!

Tangled Tidbits -
*alternating black and white diamonds of Nvelope
*wonderful movement in Nuwave
*Neuron springs from Nuwave

Congratulations, Talia!
I have a little some thing coming in the mail for you.

Thank you all for sharing your work so generously with the rest of our tangling community. 

Many thanks to the creative minds behind the tangles and string we used this week~

 TanglePatterns String 092 by CZT Nancy Newlin

Neuron and
Nuwave by Beth Snoderly
Nvelope by CZT Alyss Amster
Nipa by Maria Thomas


Check back Tuesday afternoon for "It's a String Thing" #97!



No comments:

Post a Comment